To come to Florence you can fly directly to Florence Airport or to a near by Airport as Rome, Bolonia and Pisa.

If you fly directly to Florence airport, you can get to downtown Florence either with a taxi  or with the special "Vola in Bus" bus shuttle  that you can take from the airport to the central Santa Maria Novella train station (SMN). It takes about 20 minutes, sometimes a little more if there is heavy traffic. The service runs daily, including Sundays and holidays.

If you fly to Rome, Bolonia or Pisa you have to take a bus from the airport to the central station of the city, and from there take a train to Florence train station Santa Maria Novella.

Italian bank account

How can I open a bank account in Italy?

All foreign students who plan to study in Italy can open a Bank account.

They must prepare the following documents:

1. Tax code (“Codice Fiscale”);
2. Residence permit (or postal receipt, while waiting for the electronic permit);
3. Certificate of enrolment at FAIR
4. Passport.

Banks open from 8.30 until 13.30 and from 15.00 to 16.00.

Banks are closed on Saturday and Sunday.

The bank account will be created within 2-3 weeks and the card arrives to your address within 3-4 weeks.

What banking fees are involved?

No matter where in the world you choose to bank, you’re going to be faced with fees. While each individual bank sets its own price scale for various services, the following can be used as a general guide for what you might be expected to pay:

ATM fees

It’s highly advised to withdraw cash from your own bank’s machines, otherwise you could run into a fee between €1 and €3, or even up to €6 in popular tourist neighborhoods.

What fees are there if I just use my card from my home country?

While it’s tempting to just use your foreign debit and credit cards while you’re living in Italy, the fees that come with doing so can be incredibly high. If you do choose to go this route, it’s a good idea to use your debit card at ATMs and pay at individual merchants in cash, as typically you’ll get the best exchange rates directly from the bank. It’s possible that your card doesn’t have foreign transaction fees, especially if it’s a credit card. You may even want to get a new, fee-less card before you move.

Be aware that your bank’s daily withdrawal limits could be lowered in a foreign country, and that you’ll still be charged foreign withdrawal fees when you’re using an ATM.








Health insurance card for European citizens

The European Health Insurance Card or EHIC  allows the holder to access health care services when travelling to or on holiday in another EU or EEA country. Choose from the options below to learn more, or to find out how to apply.

There is no charge for the EHIC card.

What is the European Health Insurance Card or EHIC? and Detailed Questions and Answers

Renew your EHIC ONLINE If you have your old EHIC number, your PPSN, and your address is unchanged, you can renew your card online.

Apply for EHIC - Details of how to apply by post, or online. 


For non-EU citizens

The immigration law requires you to take out a health insurance during your stay in Italy.

  • If you take out a private insurance in your country, please remember that, in order to be valid in Italy for obtaining the residence permit, it needs to have the following requirements:

    • it has to be taken out in the holder’s name (in western characters)

    • it has to be written in Italian (or in English, French, Spanish)

    • validity in the Schengen Area/Italy

    • it states the exact coverage period (it must be not less than 6 months and maximum 1 year; notice that the duration of the residence permit will be connected to the duration of the insurance)

    • it must clearly written the type of coverage for the medical expenses and it must have € 30.000 ceiling (expressed/converted in Euros) 

    • The whole document has to be endorsed and stamped by the Italian Embassy/Consulate in your country.

  • As an alternative, once in Italy you can take out a private insurance through an Italian insurance company, that will cover urgent medical assistance (surgery and accidents) in the Emergency Room (Pronto Soccorso) of any hospital.

  • Otherwise, upon the arrival, it is possible to subscribe to the Italian National Health Service (Servizio Sanitario Nazionale - S.S.N.). At present the price for students is € 149,77 a year; the payment is valid for a calendar year, that is, until the 31st of December of the year when the payment has been made. In order to subscribe, first you have to pay € 149,77 at any post office, by filling in the F24 form (MODELLO F24). After submitting your residence permit application, you have to go to the A.S.L. office in the area where you live (A.S.L. are the local administrative and operative facilities of the National Health Service) and apply for the subscription, bringing along: your passport, the residence permit receipt, the paying-in slip receipt for MODELLO F24. The public coverage provided by the National Health Service (Servizio Sanitario Nazionale) provides full health assistance - including the possibility to choose a family doctor. In the Italian health system, the family doctor gives general or 1st level health assistance, i.e., health care outside the hospital, hence including medical treatment in case of ordinary diseases or no-emergency health problems, and prescribes medicines and tests. IMPORTANT: before paying the F24 form you are suggested to ask for details to the Foreign Citizens Office.

  • Lastly, those who have a document proving their right to health assistance on the basis of treaties and bilateral agreements signed by Italy and one’s own Country, which has been issued by the Italian Embassy/Consulate in their Country, can show this document to make use of the health services stated in the agreement. For more information, it is necessary to apply to the A.S.L. in the area of residence.

Night Life

Career Services

TIAC Academy bachelor programs include practical skills training relevant to productivity, management and promotion as a fine artist including:

  1. Compulsory Second language study

  2. Communication skills (confident, civil, and earnest presentation or dialogue about artwork and related)

  3. Self Management skills

  4. Elective topics in arts industry related topics such as fundamentals of teaching, curation, and how to organise, promote and run an exhibition.


TIAC Academy staff also assists students and alumni with job search strategies and will suggest contacts, lectures, courses or workshops that provides the tools needed to plan and accomplish career goals. From determining career paths and proper positioning in the marketplace, as well as learning how to write a resume and handle the interview process.

Some of the paid and unpaid opportunities for students and alumni graduated with excellence include:

o  Teaching Assistantships in FAIR Academy or other institutions that collaborate with FIR Academy.

o  Internship Opportunities within Administrative Departments – Admissions, Library …

o  Local Area Artist Assistantships

o  Project Coordinator Assistant in Master Workshops


*More services will be provided to students at the end of the graduation year.