For detailed offical information, please contact the Italian embassy in your country.

Italy Visa Insurance Requirements

If you are planning to study in Italy, it is essential to recognise Italian visa insurance requirements for students. The visa process in Italy varies based on the duration of your stay, age and home country. If you are a resident of the European Union (EU), the Italian insurance for international students process is relatively seamless in comparison to that of non-EU residents.

 EU Residents

  • No visa required

  • Must register with the police station

  • Evidence of employment or enrolment at a higher education institution

As an EU resident, insurance requirements for Italy allow you to stay in Italy without a visa as a student for an unlimited amount of time, so long as you promptly inform the police station. While this makes the process easier, it is still necessary to bring proper documentation with you, such as a passport and any government documents pertaining to your education or work. 

Non-EU Residents

Schengen Visa- Less Than 90 Days

  • Schengen Visa, no residency permit and no state healthcare

  • Private Insurance Required, Minimum Coverage euro 30,000

If you are visiting Italy for under 90 days, for example, only for the summer or J-term, then the Schengen Visa applies to you. It essentially serves as a travel visa for visitors and is advantageous in that one can travel to all 25 countries in the region. As a tourist, Italy visa insurance requirements don’t involve obtaining further residency. 

In order to apply for a Schengen Visa, you need to show proof of private health insurance, valid in Italy, that has coverage of at least euro 30,000 and that will be valid throughout your stay in any Schengen country. To find out more about insurance requirements for Italy as a tourist, you can check out Schengen Visa Insurance page.

Stay Permit, More Than 90 Days

If you are staying in Italy as a full-time student for longer than 90 days, Italy visa insurance requirements stipulate that you apply for a student visa. This has to be done at your local Italian consulate up to 90 days prior to departure. Once you arrive in Italy, you will need to apply for a stay permit, which allocates a lengthier stay, within 8 working days of your arrival. Like EU residents, Italian insurance for international students consists of a visit to the police station, where you file for the stay permit. This is an intricate process and following directions and presenting appropriate documentation in a timely manner is key. If you’d like to know more about applying for a student visa, it is worth visiting NAFSA’s Italy Visa FAQ’s page.

VISA for Chinese students

Chinese citizens are allowed to apply for their visa in the Application Center closer to their living place, without distinction regarding the family book or residence permit or working place. This rule does not apply for foreign citizens, Chinese citizens living abroad or applicants who submit documents for family reunion or work visa.

Schengen visas (C type) are all the visa for a period of stay of maximum 90 days and include: tourism, business, short term study, short term work, transit, visit family, sport.

National visas (D type) include all the categories of visa for a period of stay of over 90 days: study, work, family reunion, religious, re-entry. When you obtain a D visa, once you arrive in Italy, you should request a residence permit at the local police station within 8 days from your arrival.

You can find detailed instructions on how to apply for your visa on this website :